Saturday, April 25, 2009

How do i run my own web hosting service?

i would like to run a home based business, web hosting. Letting people use my computers to park their websites.
How do i run my own web hosting service?
The best way to start one is to actually resell another providers web hosting. You can sign up as an affiliate for a number of hosts like Intermedia.net, Hostopia and a few others. These 2 are the best that I've come across. This way you only deal with the marketing, sales and some of the 'company' operations without having to deal with the technical operational issues associated with web hosting. Trust me, I spent 5 years at a hosting company -- it's a pain in the neck.
How do i run my own web hosting service?
Not very easily - a lot depends on your ISP and connection. Some ISPs don't let you use your connection for profit hosting and you'll need a lot of bandwidth either way.


Apache is a good program in my experiance but there is a lot involved in hosting a webserver at home. I would recommend getting to grips with Linux (I like Fedora) and Apache first. Set up a ftp site and website for yourself and see how you get on before trying to offer hosting to others.


No comments:

Post a Comment