Friday, July 31, 2009

Why no web hosting service tells me how fast my site is likely to be on their servers?

I want to find a host which will load my site on my customers' computers the fastest. I realize there are many factors which can affect the speed but still I think web host companies should at least give me a list of sample e-commerce sites for each of their plans, so I can see how the different plans compare in speed.





Hosts don't even talk about speed, just disk space and bandwidth. Why? I thought loading speed of a site was the most important thing. If it will load slowly, who cares how much space or bandwidth I have?





I cannot determine which thing counts the most: server specs or connection speed? Every host lists server specs but very very few mention connection speed. How do I compare hosts then if I want to know who is fastest?





Is there any website or tool to test or at least get some idea of how fast a host is likely to be? Is it ping time of their home site?





Also, please list the URLs of some fastest hosts and please back your opinion with relevant metrics.
Why no web hosting service tells me how fast my site is likely to be on their servers?
I think you answered your own question.





There are many factors that will affect how fast your site will load on someone's computer.





Here are some, in no particular order.





1. Where is the host server located?


2. What kind of connection to the internet does it have?


3. What ISP the customer has.


4. Where is the ISP's servers located


5. Which server would the customer connect to from the ISP?


6. Are the customer's ISPs servers loaded down at the time they want to connect to your site?


7. How many steps or servers does the connection have to go through to get to a particular customer?


8. Which browser does the customer use?


9. How much content needs to be downloaded to the customer's browser before they see anything useful?


10. The design of the website.





etc. etc.





As you can see, the Hosting company has no control over most of the factors that affect the speed that your customer can connect to your website on their servers.

flower deliveries

No comments:

Post a Comment